Friday, December 16, 2011

The events leading up to Demolition...

Once the permit was obtained, I was anxious to get started... I immediately called Miguel Kristaly, MAK Builders, to let him in on the good news...Miguel had recently gone thru the construction of his own house, too, so he could probably understand the excitement I had!  Anyway, we arranged for demolition to start, but I needed to FPL disconnect service to the house.  I spent the next couple days trying to get that done....But of course, dealing with any government agency (FPL isn't entirely a gov't agency, but so heavily subsidized that it operates the same way) that no one is responsible for mistakes or idiocracies...  First I contact them to have the power lines removed so we can do the demo, they tell me that the process takes 10 days, but if you request for it to be done quickly, it can be done in as little as 3 days.  Of course, I request that it be done in 3 days, but that takes an authority to approve it... Well, I got it.  So 12 days later, when I'm ready to demo, I drive by the property to find that the power lines are still connected!  I call to find out why...I ask for the person who authorized the 3 day timeframe....She doesn't work for the dept. anymore and didn't bother to have someone else take care of it!  So of course, with demo supposed to happen the next day, we had to re-schedule.  When I explained the sitch to the NEW guy at FPL, he says, he can't promise, but he'll put it on the calendar for the next day.  I figure, "let me give him the benefit of the doubt and schedule demo for 3 days later instead."  Following up every day, it was still not done!  I had to go in person to speak with a "Supervisor".  I said, "I don't mean to get anyone in trouble, but...." He said, in true gov't agency fashion, "no one ever gets in trouble here!"  I guess they're all lucky it's not a private company.
Anyway, finally, the demo gets scheduled for Saturday, December 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment